Welcome! We are thrilled you are presenting at the Slayage Conference. Whether this is the first or fiftieth time you've been to a conference, following are some guidelines and reminders regarding your presentation:
- The time slot for all sessions is 90 minutes.
- During a session in which three presenters deliver papers, each paper should take no longer than 20 minutes; this amount of time includes showing clips or using other audiovisual aids. On rare occasion, a session may include four presenters; in that case, 15 minutes per presenter is allowed. These time limits leave 20-30 minutes at the end of the session for questions from and discussion with the audience. (NOTE: A 20-minute paper is approximately 8-9 double-spaced, typed pages, 5-6 for 15-minute papers.)
- Please read your paper aloud and time yourself before the actual presentation. Practice with audiovisual aids as well. Honoring allotted time is considerate to other presenters and to audience members. Your session chair will assist you in keeping track of time, signaling when you have several minutes left to finish your presentation.
- As you may already know, technology can be finicky and frustrating. Having a practiced backup plan if PowerPoint or Prezi or video clips don't seem to work correctly is advised.
- Review the guidelines for session chairs just so you have an idea of what you can expect from the chair.
- Review the guidelines for accessible spaces and presentations to ensure all audience members can enjoy and engage with your ideas.
- If you prefer that your remarks not be posted, tweeted, or blogged about by audience members, please let them know of your preference at the beginning of your presentation. Otherwise, expect that some audience members will use social media while you are speaking. We have provided guidelines for social media use on a separate webpage.